Welcome to Sweet Memories




Saturday, August 28, 2010

Top of the game...

I am hard to please. I don't have a problem telling you that. I work, very hard, at being the best I can be...and I have higher than average expectations. No matter how successful or popular we are, or become, I am, and always will be, looking for ways to improve! We enjoy going to other small businesses...as I've mentioned before...and I find something charming in all of them. If it's a small business it is a reflection of the owner...no matter what kind of business it is, and I find it, especially, interesting to see what other people decide to do with what is available in the gift shop market...after all we all have access to the same stuff! No matter which direction we take when we head off on a day trip, we have our favorite places to stop. These are places that, I personally feel, are at the top of the game! They have created "an experience" from the minute you pull up out front to the minute you get back in the car....something I think is very important. Something I strive for when you come to see us. This week has been, especially, stressful. I am trying to fine tune all of the Fall decorations...without rushing things in the dining rooms...it is still August! There are some shipments MIA...although I'm sure they are coming! However, each new shipment means a slight "re-structure"....then I had all those meetings that forced me to put "now" on the back burner, and concentrate on 5 or 6 months down the road...and then I get out of my groove and have to try to re-focus on "now"...I'm not complaining!! I actually enjoy every aspect of this business. It's just a little over whelming...it's kind of like Christmas...you really look forward to it, plan for it, shop for it, decorate for it, cook and bake for it...all while expecting to be able to enjoy it (which you do in little snipits...) but then the "overload" kicks in and all of a sudden it's over...and you're not sure what happened!!! Yesterday, I had a customer tell me she thought our gift shop was "right up there" with one of the local shops that has the "right stuff"...it was, a little, like the Christmas day we all hope and work for...and a great stress reliever!!! I like to think we are in the same league...but hearing it from a customer was very nice!! I am off to work...there are a few things I'd like to fine tune, I think I have a few ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment