Welcome to Sweet Memories




Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2001... we will never forget!!

I can't believe it has been 9 years. I asked everyone on facebook, this morning, "Where were you when you heard that a plane had hit the World Trade Center?" I had quite a few comments...and everyone said they remember it like it was yesterday! My husband and I had just started to fulfill a commitment that we took very seriously...we had taken on the responsibility of "watching" (more like partially raising ) my niece. We had only just started this "new adventure"...and were still trying to figure out how to do what was expected of us and still run a business (which, actually, turned out to be almost impossible...but we had made a commitment, and doing the right thing isn't always easy!!) The events of that day certainly had never been in the mix!! It was a little hard to believe, at first....what kind of a pilot runs into a building??? Then the second one hit and it was very clear that this was no accident. I wanted to close the shop, round up all 3 of my kids and take my 4 month old niece home where I could feel safe and feel like I was protecting them all. That was not to be how it played out, though. Some of my customers asked me to please stay open...our restaurant was where they felt safe. They knew they would have to deal with it all, eventually, but, just for a little while, they wanted to have things the way they were. I spent time on the phone with my son...who was keeping me informed of the latest twist as it happened. I made sure my daughters were safe and closed up as soon as my customers felt ready to leave. I remember what the sky looked like that day...I remember what was on the menu...I remember the customers who asked me to stay open...I remember my baby niece laying on the floor, smiling and happy...and I remember thinking what a HUGE responsibility we had taken on!!! I, also, remember watching everything on T.V. that night and crying my eyes out!! I hope the families of those, innocent, people we lost that day, take some comfort in knowing that we will NEVER forget!!! Let's Roll....

No comments:

Post a Comment