Welcome to Sweet Memories




Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pumpkin class...and we all learned something....

Pumpkin class 2010 is in the books. It was a success...but not the smoothest night in history! When I am coming up with the recipes that we do on class night I am looking for a whole bunch of things. I want them to taste amazing, obviously, but I also want them to be fun, somewhat easy, relatively quick and painless and something you will want to try at home (and, hopefully, make again and again...) The tricky part of that is that I am, pretty much, entertaining you while you are learning...so I can't have everything "done" ahead of time. If I cook everything and just throw it together in front of you...I don't feel that is very interesting. So begins my dilemma. Last night I wanted to do unexpected recipes for the pumpkin class. So we made corn pudding (with pumpkin, of course) a southwestern chicken soup, pumpkin sloppy joes, a creamy pumpkin-sausage pasta, a pumpkin pie bar (much easier than a pie for the upcoming holidays) a pumpkin spice cake (which was served with pumpkin ice cream and drizzled with caramel.) and a pumpkin cinnamon roll (yes, a yeast recipe!!!) You can see it was pretty ambitious...but, again, I didn't want to do too much ahead of time. So, I made the pumpkin pie bars and the cake....that way we could serve them when we were ready. I, also, did them in front of the class...but you cannot serve them hot out of the oven. I made the cinnamon rolls. Then, about 1 1/2 hours before class started, I made the dough, again, so it would rise. Then I made it, again, in front of the class. All of these logistical things take place for all of the classes...it is part of the process. The "hold-up" last night...the "hiccup" in the schedule??? The onion and meats that needed to cook for the "main dishes"!!!! Note to self...it does NOT take away from the learning experience to have meat cooked ahead of time....no one, actually, needs (or, probably wants) to watch meat cook....right up there with drying paint!!! So, I guess we ALL learned something last night!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment