Welcome to Sweet Memories




Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ladies Night....Pennsylvania Dutch with a twist....

I am hosting our family "Ladies Night" tonight. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that it's not going to be 90 degrees!!! We have been doing "theme" dinners for a little while...we pick our months and then do something appropriate. Everything from Italian to the obvious Holiday appropriate menus...this year we wrote different ideas on pieces of paper and "picked" the themes...I hosted in January and had breakfast....that was a good one. Then, for June....I got Pennsylvania Dutch. This was hard. First of all....I am not Pennsylvania Dutch. We moved up into this area from Lower Bucks County when I was 10....it's hard enough to get kids to try new foods....but it's impossible to get them to try....well, let's just say some of the food choices of this area ( scrapple, pig's stomach....would YOU try it??) So, needless to say, I am not an authority on this subject. I have come up with a menu.... finally .... and I have taken some artistic license. Surprise, surprise!!! We are having baked chicken with an apple butter sauce, baked potato salad, homemade bread....with more apple butter (one of the few traditional food choices that I like...) and then Quakertown Pie (an interesting recipe that I found....it's a whole lot like shoo-fly...) and funny cake. Oh, and some soda that is made in the area....I think it will be fun, and I think it will "pass" as Dutch....as my daughter said "Pennsylvania Dutch a la gourmet".... This theme thing is fun....but, if I get this one again....I am calling "do-over"!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!! :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment