Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day...???

Ahhh....Mother's Day.....a day of celebration!! Or....in our case....a day of running, running, running!!! It is, hands down, the busiest day of the year for us...there are quite a few that come in a close second....but it is the busiest!! This year...it started on Friday....which, to be honest, is a blur!! Then Saturday was non-stop....desserts, gifts, gift certificates, more desserts....fully booked for lunch reservations...go, go, go!!! And then we come to Sunday itself....well over 100 for Brunch and almost 40 for Sunday Supper!!! We cooked so much food on Sunday....wow!! The Brunch dishes were selling very evenly....(which makes me happy....because I feel like I have done something right...) but the carrot cake pancakes were a particular hit!! So many nice people....so many of our "regulars" ie extended family....hopefully all had a great time. I was wished a Happy Mother's day over and over....but, I have to be honest...it's not my favorite. Now, you are probably wondering why?? We were full....and I mean FULL....for 3 solid days...from a business stand point...it doesn't get any better!!! We had lots and lots of our "SM Family" join us!! Love that!! Of course....I don't get to celebrate....but that doesn't matter to me. We are used to celebrating things on "off" days....no big deal!! Compliments galore, BIG sales in the gift shop, lots of happy people....what's the problem?? Right??? We start to get reservations, and dessert orders, for Mother's Day in January....no I'm NOT kidding!! We were full....completely FULL....weeks ago. That means every spot at every table....all day long. But the phone rings and rings....many just hopeful that they will get lucky and that there will be a cancellation...or an "extra" cake lying around....but there are just as many who get nasty. Yes....I said nasty. We are hung up on....talked to like we are just a little "stupid"....like maybe we just don't understand the request....and it gets worse all the time!! I am getting on my soapbox....hold on....and then we have THREE tables of no call/ no shows. Not cool!! We fed well over 100....and turned at least that many away!!! If you aren't going to make the reservation, after all......CALL!!! I have the "this is just how it is...." conversation SO MANY TIMES!!! No one RSVPs, returns calls, answers e-mails....cancels appointments!!! I know this probably doesn't apply to you....but I feel that we need to make a stand!! If this has happened to you....don't take it anymore!! This "new trend" is AWFUL!!! And I think all of us....the kind and courteous ones....need to stick up for ourselves!!! OK...I will get down off of the soapbox....I am going out to lunch....and then to the bookstore...I got a gift certificate from my daughter and her fiancee for Mother's Day...:) and....I got one from my other daughter, and her boyfriend, to one of my favorite stores (a wool shop down the road owned by a very good friend of mine:):):):)) so that will be another day...AND our pool gets opened today!!! We made it, we survived....and I am very proud of all of us (future son-in-law did dishes ALL day long....welcome to the family!!!) for a great job well done!! I will continue to do what I do....and I will NOT allow the mean people of the world to win.....if you are with me....feel free to leave a comment....I WILL answer it....I ALWAYS do!!!!   :):):)

8 comments:

  1. ;) What a wonderful time you gave all the mother's out there this whole weekend! Enjoy your day you deserve it. Happy (Your) Mothers Day to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a VERY nice day....thanks, Patty!!

      Delete
  2. I hear you Jamie,, how rude indeed. Holidays are soooo over rated for those
    ( i still consider myself) of us in the retail business, who must cater to those that don't have a clue so they get all the praise. oh yeah I have all your cake boxes flattened and ready to bring back . when would you like them? any way, Happy Mothers Day ! I too had to work.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily...for every 100 people that come through the door....99 of them are great!! I was talking with one of my customers on Sunday....her grandson works at a coffee shop...some lady SPIT the coffee on the counter because it was "too sweet"....even though she had asked for extra sweetener....really??? Grow up!!! as far the boxes....whenever...how did all of that go by the way???

      Delete
    2. really great, they all loved the idea of stacked boxes. i'll try to get you a picture. see you soon.

      Delete
    3. Yes...I would LOVE to see them!!!

      Delete
  3. Happy belated mothers day!! I LOVE "SM" but sadly have not been there in a long time:( GLAD FB reminded me your place is still there;) I realize you do not know me from Adam, but felt I had to comment about the "no shows". I work at a doctors office where appointments are at a premium!! EVERY single day our doctors have a no show or two.... OR more!! Then we are not able to accommodate patients who need to be seen!! VERY annoying!!! Customers/Patients do NOT realize how bad this is for our businesses!! So while reading what you wrote, I could NOT have agreed with you more!!! It's tough working with the public too... EVERY THING is "your fault". BUT there are the gem's out there too;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily...we were able to fill in most of the spots....and utilize the seating on our porch (because it was such a pretty day)....but that just isn't the point!! One of my customers told me that a lot of places are charging $10.00/ person...when you show up....it comes off the bill....when you don't....TOO BAD!! Interesting concept!! It is a real trend....no one takes any responsibility.....and the entitlement thing is just unreal!! The customer's always right.....ummm...I don't think so!! I think "the public" need to realize they have a few responsibilities too....as far as "the gems".....we have MORE than our fair share!! 99% of the people that come through our doors are like our extended family....thank goodness!! :)

      Delete