Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, February 18, 2013

Butter and sugar.....

Cream the butter and sugar.....that's how most of my favorite stories begin. I read cookbooks like most people read dime store novels...(hahahaha....DIME store....remember them???) there is no question....baking is my passion!! I have to say, though, this last week....I thought it, also, might be the end of me!!!!!
I bake....all day, EVERYDAY.....all week long. Cookies, brownies, cakes, cupcakes, shortbread, scones, cheesecakes, pies, tarts.....all from scratch, in SMALL batches, one batch at a time. The word I would use to best describe my style of baking would be old-fashioned....because it's the BEST word to use when describing baked goods. The newest, latest, greatest trends....they're fine...but not me. CAN I decorate wedding cakes....do a "cartoon character of the day" on a half sheet....yup. But I have been there....and done that....and I don't want to any more!! I love to look at the super decorated cookies....and could do those, too, if I wanted to....but I don't. I don't want to make fondant covered mountains of sugar....frankly I think fondant tastes awful. I don't want to jump on the next "craze" bandwagon....I have never been a bandwagon jumper!! I want to make amazing desserts that remind you of your childhood....or make your birthday happy....or just plain brighten your mood!!!
          I get the phone calls and inquires about whatever the craze of the week is....will I do a cake in the shape of....fill in the blank....but the answer is always going to be "NO".
          To tell you the truth....I think I have created a "craze" of my own. Every day....more and more "white boxes full of happiness" leave the bakery. Each one containing favorite treats for friends, family....or whoever is carrying the box!! That makes me very, VERY happy!! There is no greater compliment than the white boxes leaving the shop in droves....except all of the compliments I hear from all of you!!
           But....I have to say...with Valentine's day, this week, I had a moment or two when I thought I just might not be able to keep up....when I thought you might just eat it all faster than I could bake it!!! All in all.....a pretty GREAT "problem"!!!! I hope you guys had a wonderful...."sweet"....Valentine's Day!! We are taking a much needed "break" day....and so is my mixer!!! But....we will be right back at it tomorrow!! After all....baking IS my passion....and making people happy is my job....and most of the time...it's a piece of cake (or cookies, cupcakes, scones, brownies.....:)  )

No comments:

Post a Comment