Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, April 8, 2013

That's the way the cookie crumbles....

"That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles"....Do you believe that everything happens for a reason??

I do.

We want things....sometimes those things are material...sometimes they are about people and relationships...sometimes they are "experiences"....but we want them. We get it into our heads that these "things" would be wonderful...the key to our happiness. Then....they don't work out....and it is the very definition of disappointment...until you have that moment...they are calling it the "aha" moment....when you realize it was for the best.

That was my week. We have been in business....at 180 Main St. in Emmaus....for 18 years. I have been in business, one way or another, for even longer. One of the "secrets" to success, in business, is re-invention....going with the flow. You may start out wanting to provide "this"....and end up doing "that". For example....I didn't really plan on serving "food", way back at the beginning....I just wanted a place where I could bake....fill my "custom" cake orders as well as orders for all of the other baked goods I make. We would have a few tables where you could sit and enjoy a little treat....but the custom baking was my focus. Oh....how things change!! Of course....you can see what I mean about "going with the flow"!! While some parts of the business have taken on lives of their own....the most important part, I think, is still the bakery. It is, also, the part with the most potential for growth.

The lower part of the building, next door, is vacant. I'm sure you can see where I am headed with this!! We did a little investigating....looked into the possibility of expanding the "baking end" of sweet Memories. The rules and regulations involved in getting a building "prepared" to house any kind of business, other than offices, is...well....prohibitive. It's no wonder there are so many vacant store fronts!! While that idea was sent to the scrap pile....other ideas have surfaced!! Better ideas....more manageable ideas!! Yes....I would like a little more room....and, yes, I would like to be able to fill every, single order that all of you try to place!! But....the reality is...I am only one person...and I don't ever want to "change" the way I do what I do. I want to make everything in small batches, give all of my attention to each and every cake, cookie, scone, brownie, cheesecake, pie and cupcake that goes out the door. We want to continue to make all of the food from scratch, also in small batches, the old-fashioned way....no freezers, no leftovers....no waste....(less price hikes!!) All in all....I am happy with the way things are now....I can manage ALL of the aspects of the business...could I do that from another building?? (even one just 10 steps away??) I have the ability to go home at the end of the day....spend time in my garden, with my Grandson....would I be able to do that if the operation got any bigger?? Then, of course, we have all of you...I can talk to you now (well....once in a while, anyway!!!) ....I wouldn't even see you from "over there"!!

Everything happens for a reason...and this is for the best!!

So....What does this mean?? If you want to place an order....you will, still,  need to plan ahead!! I can only do so many in a day...the more notice you give us....the more likely you will get what you need!! The seating in the restaurant is not going to change....so reservations are, still,  a REALLY good idea!! Friday Nights are STILL walk-ins only....so calling ahead (and learning that) will NOT guarantee you a seat!! We will continue to make all of our food...fresh...everyday...which means that we do not have "extra" stuff sitting around...so if you have dietary restrictions...you STILL need to tell us about them ahead of time!! There is a chance you may have to wait a moment or two until we can get to you....please be patient (and respectful of others....) and I STILL do most of the writing on your cakes in green....but, sometimes, I make a really pretty "tiffany" blue...and I am really sorry if that is offensive!

Sorry for the "rant" but, like I said....this has been a week!! I DO believe that everything happens for a reason....but, sometimes that reason is hard to find!! If you are privy to what that last paragraph is all about...you know what a week it was!! I could write a whole separate blog....heck.... If I had the time I could write a book!!....Hmmm....I can see it now....maybe I'll even call it "That's the way the cookie crumbles".....I have decided the lesson HERE is to appreciate all of our WONDERFUL customers (family...) even more....and to try to go with the flow!!! Have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. I'd be first in line for "That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles". I think it would be a Best Seller since I find your humor very Erma Bombeck-like! Keep Calm and Bake On!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sue!!! That's a HUGE compliment....I loved Erma Bombeck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete