Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, May 6, 2013

Here it comes....ready or not!!

Well.....it's that time of year again.....Mother's Day is right around the corner!! That one day...just one...that you get to tell your Mother how much she means to you! Heaven help me!!

I always tell everyone that I hate Mother's Day....and I do. Not because we are SO busy....because that would be silly!! We WANT to be busy....we are a small business!! No....the reason I hate Mother's Day is because people are SO rude!!!

We have some VERY smart customers that make their reservations for Mother's Day Brunch...at Christmas...YES....Christmas!!! Typically we are "full" about three weeks before the big day!! Not just for Brunch on Sunday....but for the whole weekend....and when I say "full" I mean...could not possibly squeeze one more person in if we wanted to. This happens for several reasons. #1...we are small...(although we serve somewhere in the 115 people range for Brunch)...and I want to keep it that way...so don't expect that to change!! #2 Mother's day comes, approximately, the same time every year....and #3...people plan ahead.

So, naturally, the phone rings off of the wall with requests for reservations the week (or two) before...

No...wait....I haven't gotten to the problem yet!!

Most people are sweet and very understanding. "Oh no....I should have called sooner!!" But, way more often than you would think, we get (angry voice...) "you can't take any more??" "When do you have to call to get a reservation??" "I didn't even know you NEEDED a reservation" "My family is coming all the way from (fill in the blank...)" or....and this is our very favorite...angry huff...click. Nothing like getting hung up on....nothing!!


There is a new "made up" term in our vocabularies these days...Momisms. You know..."if you make that face it will stay that way!!"..."Close that door....were you born in a barn??""...etc. Let's be honest....most of them were just empty threats and phrases that we could use to get us through the challenges of parenthood. However...some of the wisdom that we attempted to pass down was....and still really NEEDS to be....valuable!!! "Do unto others etc. etc." (THIS is a good one!!!) "Wait your turn"..."Patience is a virtue"..."If you don't have something nice to say....keep your mouth shut!!"

In addition to trying to mentally prepare myself for the barrage of rudeness that awaits us, this week....last week was full of it's own challenges!! We had some shoplifting....some breakage...some paper towels flushed down the toilets resulting in a hefty plumbing bill....should I go on?? No....I need to move on and focus on the task ahead!!

If any of the above "wonderfulness" does NOT apply to you (and....thankfully... THAT list is a very, very long one!!!!)...I hope you have a fantastic Mother's Day....and I hope you will be spending some part of it with us!! If any of the above "wonderfulness" DOES apply to you...well..."A little bird told me" that "what comes around goes around" and "I think you need to go to your room and think about what you've done"....we will "wait until your Father gets home"...."Why...because I said so....that's why!!"

Hey....Happy Mother's Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment