Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, May 27, 2013

Simple Pleasures....

How do you feel about technology?? More than likely it's the same love/hate that most of us have. On the one hand...well...you're reading this...so you must enjoy some technology in your life! I mean...there's no question about it...you can get the news, music, hours of your favorite stores, updates about your friends...new recipes...with just a few clicks!! We know more and see more and are part of more than any of us could have ever believed! I found a video, over the weekend, about a young man who just lost his battle with cancer...I can say, with absolute certainty, that Zach changed my life....and I wouldn't have known anything about him without YouTube!!!

Yes....we have the world at our fingertips...literally. But, sometimes, that can be a burden. While it is super convenient to be able to call anyone....from anywhere....at anytime...to discuss anything....should we?? I don't know about you....but those private conversations that I am, involuntarily, listening to at the grocery store are really no concern of mine...and, if you weren't HAVING that conversation...you would be able to pay attention to your surroundings, get you and your cart out of my way and maybe not be so RUDE to the cashier!!....Just saying!! And....of course...we all know what those conversations are costing the world while we are supposed to be driving!!

Then we have the power of Facebook. It is really wonderful to connect...and stay connected...to the people we care about!! To see the pictures of the things that matter to your friends, hear about the accomplishments, the kids....even the occasional gripe...say Happy Birthday!! But...do I want to know EVERYTHING....ummm...no!! Not to mention the posts that really get you fired up!! You KNOW what I am talking about....the people that use the "spotlight" to tell "tales"...or outright lies...about people and things that you care about!! Ah yes, the power of Facebook!!

Like I said....love/hate!

As much as I enjoy this technology...and the fact that you are here...right now....reading this....I would like to make a suggestion!! Every now and then....walk away from the keyboard!! I think we all need to remember how wonderful the simple pleasures are...bake something, cook something, grow something....watch the birds, read a book, learn a new craft and do something creative!! One of my friends posted something, the other day, about how when this generation "becomes a Grandmother" they won't know how to knit or quilt....but they will know how to take pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror!! Lord, I hope that isn't true!! And yes, I am aware of the irony....that I saw that on Facebook!!

In this day and age of instant....everything...lets make an effort to slow down and smell the roses...or shell some peas...let's try to find those things that make us happy and give us balance. Let's take the "spotlight" away from the liars...and "haters"...of the world!! Instead...let's go up, up, up....slow down a little bit...and enjoy the simple pleasures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment