Welcome to Sweet Memories




Thursday, June 27, 2013

Keep your eyes open!!!

I am a little late in posting this week....it has been a busy one!!

It is hard to believe...but there are just a few weeks left before my daughter's wedding...luckily the to-do list is getting shorter and shorter!! Monday was an "all hands on deck" kinda day....and it started VERY early...and ended very late!! Painting, pruning, still more mulching....and a little "creating"!!

This new table, on our front porch, was created from a whole bunch of flea market finds and re-purposed pieces. I have been decorating this way for a very long time....even before it was "cool"...and it is still one of my favorite things to do. I love finding things and using them for new purposes. I have turned funnels, egg baskets, buckets and washtubs into planters. Windows and doors into pieces of furniture. Porch posts...topped with a birdhouse...into focal points. Old clay pots into a flower bed border...and don't get me started on the many uses of ladders!! There is something very special about "old" utilitarian pieces...they add instant charm and history!! If you find new and clever uses for them...they add instant creativity!!

Not only are we fast approaching my daughter's wedding...we are, also, fast approaching the "birthday" of Sweet Memories...well, the 180 Main Street version, anyway!! What does one thing have to do with the other?? Good question!!

We have been doing so much "hunting" for vintage and antique pieces in preparation for this big event...I have started to give some thought to the idea of mixing some "vintage" into the gift shops. I believe that, in order to have a successful business, you need to be yourself. You need to carry merchandise that you love and show your personality in everything you do. All too often businesses make the mistake of trying to be too many things, trying to keep up with everyone around them...and, in doing so, they lose something. Copying what another business is doing will not make you successful...being yourself...will!!

When you come into our store....you are seeing..."ME"!! I love to cook and bake...I love the idea of gourmet foods and having a candy store...and, when you head upstairs to the gift shops, you will see that I love to make my house cozy, my kitchen adorable, my Holidays extra special, my garden gorgeous....and all of the "little ones" in my life happy!! But, I also LOVE vintage...and, right now, that is missing!!

So....as we approach the 18th birthday of our store...keep your eyes open!! I have some of my favorite people..."picking"....just for you!! And, not only are THEY looking for some really great treasures....once the wedding is all done and in the "memory" (sweet of course!!) books...my daughter and husband want to spend some time "creating" original pieces from vintage, re-purposed finds....and, I think, they will have "Sweet Memories" written all over them!!! Hey...you guys all know....around here, we don't do ANYTHING like anyone else!!! ;) Have a great day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment