Welcome to Sweet Memories




Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Creativity......

How important is creativity in your life?? It ranks pretty high in mine. I call my creative side into action many, many times a day!! Our business...and all that is involved with it...requires more than your average amount of creativity. The past week and half, for example, I have had to come up with very creative ways to deal with not feeling well. Since this is something I rarely need to deal with (thank goodness!!) it was a challenge!! (By the way....just as a side note....if you find yourself with this upper respiratory wonderfulness....take care of yourself....it's a doozie!!) I, also, found it necessary to deal with more than average amounts of rude, arrogant and self absorbed people (I would love to blame the full moon.....but I am pretty sure the rude arrogance is ever present!!) If THAT doesn't test your creativity....what does??

But....aside from all of that....last Monday was "decorate our house for Halloween" day...and then Tuesday was "design, cutout and bake haunted gingerbread houses" day and Wednesday was our class!! All in all....a pretty hefty dose of creative energy was needed!!

At the beginning of "decorate for Halloween" Monday I am excited about getting it all done....spending some time with all of my collectibles!! By about noon-ish....I am wondering what I have gotten myself into (add in the fact that I really didn't feel well!!!) By about three-ish.....I just want the day to end!! This is a huge undertaking when I feel GREAT!!! I haven't done an official count (I am not sure I WANT to know!!!) of the number of "bins" that are devoted to Halloween...if I had to estimate I would say in the 18 to 20 range. All of them need to be emptied before I can even begin!! It's a daunting task...but, when I am done, it is very, very satisfying!! I love to do the displays....and "show-off" all of our treasured collection!! What I really love, though, is just wandering from room to room....enjoying what we have ***created***!

Every year, when we have our gingerbread house classes...whether they are the "haunted" variety or the Christmas houses.....we have a "newbie" or two (or three....) that claim to have "no creativity"....to this I say...."horsefeathers"....(well....that's not what I REALLY say.....) I defy anyone to sit with a "blank" gingerbread house in front of them....and a table full of candy....and  NOT be creative!!!! Every time....without fail....unique, one-of-a-kind, extremely creative houses are carried out the front door! (by very proud owners!!) Somewhere in the course of the evening....the juices start to flow and the uncultivated creative side emerges!!

But there is more to it than just going home with a house that you're proud of. Somewhere during the creative process....we relax, we let go. We find ourselves thinking about something other than the pressures of the day.....we enjoy the creativity and the end results!! There is a really good reason why people paint and write, knit and garden, cook and bake, decorate and collect. It makes us happy!! Do you need to be the next Picasso....no. Do you need to be the next Jane Austin....no. Do you need to be Martha Stewart....heavens no!!!! You need to find the creative outlet (or outlets...) that makes you happy and take a little time to indulge in them!! Creativity is VERY important....go out there and find something to create! Hmmm....maybe if there were MORE creativity....there would be LESS rude, self important arrogance!! Just saying!! 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderfully said! I do hope you feel better soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....it's better than it was....but I'm still not 100%!! Your Haunted House was great, by the way!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better Jamie! Just be glad it is not the stomach bug that's going around our area right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it's not the stomach thing....but this wasn't pleasant, either!! I don't get sick...so it has to be a "good one" for me to get it!! I hope this means I am "safe" for the rest f the season....too much to do!!! :)

      Delete