Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, January 13, 2014

If you don't have something nice to say......

Oh yes....it's that time...again!!

Earlier this week...I posted something on Facebook about being an optimist. It is true...I am. I was referring to the weather...and trying to look at the "bright" side (even though it was really hard to see!!) It doesn't matter what the subject matter is, though....I am still an optimist!! I believe that dwelling on negative situations (and people) is a waste of energy. This belief has served me well. Regardless of who you are dealing with...coworkers, "friends", strangers, customers.....heck even "family"....people can be very trying!!! I hate to say it....because I am afraid it will sound negative...but it is only getting worse!!

I try to find solutions to difficult situations...or problems...quickly. Then I try to let it go!! Most of the time this works. Sometimes, however, the universe has other plans. Sometimes we blame it on the full moon...sometimes the weather (I feel like we can blame a lot of life's problems on the weather....) but...we can blame it on anything we want to...the bottom line...people can be rude!!!

My philosophy has always been to handle situations with humor. I would much rather fashion myself after Erma Bombeck than a long winded, opinionated (usually annoying) political commentator, for example. I feel that humor...and "killing them with kindness" goes a long way. Every now and then, however, it is just SO hard to do...it's almost painful!!!

I had one of those weeks. One difficult situation right after another. People giving their opinions....like anyone cares...people thinking the sun rises and sets on them....thinking that rules are in place simply to annoy everyone and that...because THEY are SO special...the rules do not, in fact, apply to them!!! Oh yes...it was one of those weeks!!!

I am sure you are thinking "hmmm....that's too bad....but it isn't my problem!!" but it is!! Because...while my encounters were with people who think they can buy all of the desserts in the case (even though we ask you to order large quantities!!!!) and try to pay with $100.00 bills (even though we have more than one sign that says we don't take them....and, by the way, you should ask the bank NOT to give them to you...NO small place wants to change those big bills....and "they" have figured out a way to bleach $5.00 bills and then print over them so that the "pens" don't identify them as counterfeit!!! **deep breath**) and tell me what they think of the Byers' Choice Carolers...(FYI...I don't really care what your opinion of them is....) and even a few people telling us they bought candles at the Thrift store (or worse....the Big Box store!!! Good for you....but I don't see why you would tell ME?????) they are all rooted in the incredible rudeness that is overtaking the world!!!!

At any point, this week, did you find one of your coworkers or Facebook "friends" bragging, stretching the truth, being a hypocrite, commenting on something you said...and, basically, making an idiot out of you?? See....it IS your problem, too!!! What ever happened to "if you can't say something nice....don't say anything at all"???? I'll tell you what happened....social media and the internet!!

Don't get me wrong....I am on the computer as much as the next guy.(occupational hazard) However....I have never, NEVER tried to hurt someone, make someone feel stupid (which, by the way, would be really easy....because NO one knows the difference between to, too and two....among other things!!!) push my beliefs, retaliate against a place or a person that I have a problem with (read some "reviews" some time....who the heck made those people authorities?????) or, basically, stick my two cents in where it doesn't belong!!!

I try my best...to be my best me...every day of the year. I, frequently, allow people to go in front of me at the grocery store, hold doors open for people, I say excuse me....all the time...even though 99 times out of 100 I am ignored!!! I try to "donate" as much as I can to as many good causes as I can....we,  as a family, have even been known to "pay it forward"!! I filter everything before it comes out of my mouth....and, for the most part, it has kept me out of trouble!! Hey....I have opinions!! Those who know me WELL would even call me "opinionated"....but, sometimes, it's just not appropriate to "say" what you are thinking!!!!

So....what is the solution?? I don't know. What I DO know....I am going to continue to be the best me that I can be...I am going to continue to run my business...and my life...as an optimist!! I am going to continue to treat situations with humor....and I am going to continue to kill them with kindness!! Most importantly, though, If I don't have something nice to say....I am going to keep my mouth shut....unless I am having one of those weeks. If that is the case....I am going to get on my soap box and put my 2 cents in on the computer!!! Hahahahahahahahaha.....Here's hoping for a great week ahead!! I can't help it...it's the optimist in me!!

8 comments:

  1. Wonderfully said and I could not agree more! :)

    Paula Lotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a deep breath and remember the universe is on your side. Namaste my dear.
    Love what you put out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that!! You have a great day!!!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree! As an educator I often have to "bite my tongue" when dealing with difficult parents, administrators and situations. I love to remind my students of Thumper's comment to Bambi...."If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all!" With correct grammar, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favorite Disney moments...it's fantastic that you are teaching the kids, because I am afraid they will learn more by "example"....watching their parents!!! One of the more disturbing encounters, this week, was in front of children. Keep your chin up...and know that you are making a difference!! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, thank you for posting this! It gives me hope that maybe I am not going crazy.
    By the way, my weekend was planned around how I could get over to you to get some cake...and when I stopped in on Sunday, you had strawberry cream cake, thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet....and much needed!! ;) thank you!!

      Delete