Welcome to Sweet Memories




Saturday, November 22, 2014

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

So...here we are...the weekend before Thanksgiving. You have turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes on your mind, I know, but I want to ask you a question...where do you stand on decorating for Christmas??

Actually, I guess that's a multi-part question. First...when do you decorate? Second...do you enjoy it...or is it just another "chore"....just something else that has to get done??

A few years ago, because of the crazy schedule that we have, we decided to get the inside of the house all ready for Christmas somewhere around the middle of November. I asked all of my family members if they had a problem with Santa Claus watching them eat their Thanksgiving dinner and no one did...so the "job" got rescheduled.

I just want to make something very, very clear...while it IS a job...(I am a serious collector...of all things that make me happy...and I have a SERIOUS (huge) collection!!!) it is a job I love!! And....there are several really good reasons why this works out brilliantly for us!

I love the Holidays. Love ALL of the Holidays...I have to say, Halloween is a particular favorite of mine...but, without a doubt, Christmas is number one. As far as I am concerned...it goes much too quickly!! One minute...the Thanksgiving dishes are just about done, and it's time to go outside and view the "light show" (the outside of the house gets decorated on Thanksgiving day...while I am cooking!!) for the first time...and the next minute the dishes from Christmas dinner are washed and put away!!

There is so much about Christmas to enjoy...the lights, the music, family, friends...all combine to make it such a wonderful time of year. I think making it "last longer" was one of the best decisions we ever made!! Don't get me wrong...I love pumpkins and bittersweet and acorns and pilgrims...and turkey...as much as the next guy....but there is nothing better than coming home, after a long day at work, to a glittering, glistening home all ready for Christmas.

Of course...the shop is ready even earlier...it has to be. We get everything out immediately after Halloween. That is the way retail works...all of the merchandise is ordered (and in storage...) months and months ahead of time. And we hear about it. Most of you can't wait...and that's awesome, because I feel the same way...but, occasionally, we hear the "Christmas already"...which makes me sad. I still get excited when the first of the "Christmas specials" come on television (even though they are all on DVD and you can watch them whenever you want to!!) I love when they play Christmas music on the radio, I love to look at ornaments and decorations ANYtime of the year...I love to look at other people's "light displays" and see their tree in the window!! Christmas already?? No....how about...is it time yet??

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....and that is okay by me!!!


2 comments:

  1. I agree! The anticipation, expectations and experiences up until Christmas Day are the best part of the holiday season! I have started decorating too, it's never too early!

    ReplyDelete