Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, February 9, 2015

A little garden magic....

So...there is a new trend in gardening! Have you jumped on this yet? Fairy Gardening is all the rage!

I am thrilled to see it "come into fashion"...because I have had a fairy garden for about 23 years!

For me...it all started with the herb garden. Our home was built in the 1800's and when it came time to do a little landscaping (everyone who knows me (and knows what our gardens look like) will understand how funny the term "a little landscaping" is!!)I wanted whatever we planted to "belong".

Once I started to research herbs...I was hooked. Not only because of the understated beauty of herb plants...and, of course, the usefulness...(fresh basil in that tomato sauce!)but all of the "meanings" of the plants. You have heard "rosemary for remembrance" but many other herbs have meanings as well. Sage...wisdom~~~Thyme...courage~~~Basil...wealth~~~Dill...protection....even Roses...love, of course!!

We planned out the herb garden in a formal pattern...four "L" shaped beds around a center rectangle. But, just because the layout is formal, doesn't mean the garden is...there is nothing stuffy about this herb garden! In fact...it is full of magic!

The first time I unveiled all of the magic was at our youngest daughter's fifth birthday party. We had a "garden party" theme. Each of her friends decorated their own garden hat and we had garden inspired party foods...and then I took them all on a tour of the garden. I showed them where the fairies lived...where they had touched the foxglove (you can see their fingerprints on the flowers..) which petals they used for clothes and where the gnomes lived. I let them touch, and smell, the mint, basil, dill...and the lamb's ear! I must say....they were a captive audience!

With each addition to the landscaping there has been additional magical touches. We don't put any of them out in the open...you have to search. There are fairy houses, doors, mushrooms....even the magical creatures themselves! Many of the original touches we made ourselves. But now....because of this "new" trend....EVERYTHING is available for you to have all of this magic in your garden, too!

And....I have ordered ALL of it for the "magical" shops at Sweet Memories!! Benches, chairs, tables, stepping stones, birdhouses, birdbaths, gates, scooters....the list goes on and on!! It's really easy to get started...just find a spot and create a beautiful place for the fairies to live! Then...sit back and wait for the magic! Is this a great project for the kids? Absolutely!! But...trust me....YOU need a little magic, too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment