Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, November 23, 2015

Magic, Wonder...Journeys and Destinations!

"Life is a journey...not a destination"

I believe that 100%. I believe that we all need to enjoy the journey a little more....and I really believe that this philosophy applies to Christmas!

We have been ready for Christmas, at the shop, for the last few weeks. And....just like always....we have heard a few "already" and "what happened to thanksgiving" comments. Not everyone...most of you are full of the Christmas spirit and really in the mood to shop for your little pieces of magic (there are things that are, already, sold out!!!) but, I must say, the negativity....however sparse....is really puzzling to me.

"Christmas already" is not a phrase that I would EVER utter!! I love Christmas....everything...every, little, thing about it!! I love Christmas lights, Christmas movies, Christmas songs....and I feel that a few measly weeks of all of that magic and wonder just aren't enough!!

When you are a little kid...the magic of Christmas is all tied up in the gifts. But, once you are an adult, you find yourself with the "responsibility" of Christmas. You have to do the decorating, the shopping, the wrapping, the cooking....but, as far as I am concerned, that is the journey. I guess you can get caught up in the "work" that the Holidays cause....but I don't see it that way.

We get the shop ready at the beginning of November because....well...we are a shop. The retail world dictates that, if you are going to survive and live to see another holiday season, you need to get in the game!! But I am all ready, here at home, too. I spent my whole "day off", last Monday, decorating the inside of our home. Because of what we do for a living our "enjoy the holidays" time is limited....so I try to get as much out of it as I can!!

There is nothing that makes me happier than coming home to all of our collections and decorations and all of the memories connected to each of them. I tweak and shimmy for days....until I get all of the displays just right. Each display that I create tells a story....and underneath that story is a glimpse into what I love. The whimsy and the nostalgia of an old-fashioned Christmas.

This year try to enjoy the journey...take every opportunity to create the magic and the wonder that you remember! As you sit down, this week, to enjoy that feast...don't think about all of the dishes and cleaning up that will need to get done. Enjoy the people that are enjoying it with you!! And when you haul all of those decorations out....enjoy yourself! Create a wonderland that you can't wait to come home to...find your magic and wonder!

The destination will be here before you know it....get all you can out of the journey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment