Welcome to Sweet Memories




Monday, May 30, 2016

Let's start at the beginning.......

I thought it would be a good idea to start this story at the beginning....well....MY beginning anyway!

Everyone has someone in their lives that influences them more than anyone else. That person, for me, was my Grandmother. "MomMom" to me...that's her on the left! If you are among our most faithful....and have been coming in to Sweet Memories for any length of time....you will remember her sitting and adding her art work to the bags!!

Just about everything I do...and every interest I have...is because of my MomMom. But more about that in another post.

My Grandparents (that's my PopPop on the right....and they are in front of a train. He LOVED trains!! Even though they never met...I am pretty sure that is where my oldest Grandson got HIS love of trains!!! I think we "pass along" much, much more than our facial features!!!) anyway....my Grandparents "flipped" houses long before anyone knew what that meant! They would go to estate
sales...auctions where the house contents and then, ultimately, the house itself were sold. I found
myself at many of these sales. I was too young to really understand what was happening....but I
would be on a blanket, under a tree with something to occupy myself (coloring books....not electronic devices...no one knew about those either!!) until all of the "box lots", household goods, tools and furniture were sold to the highest bidder. Because of all of that time under the tree I am pretty good at understanding auctioneers. And...yes....one time I "accidentally" (had my hand in the air at the wrong time!!) bought something!!

Once that was all done...they would sell the property. More often than not....my Grandfather would buy it. Now....these "flips" were not like the ones you watch on HGTV!! There was no "gutting", no "demo", no wall removal!! He would inspect the properties beforehand...and only bought them if it just needed a little TLC. They would go in and paint (still the BEST way to change any house!) work on the outside....pull weeds, prune, plant flowers. Do some minor repairs...fix broken windows, oil hinges etc. Periodically call in a plumber or electrician....but nothing major. Then....they would sell the house and buy another! Now and again...he would buy rental properties, too.

Now....the result of all of this?? Houses were "business". There wasn't any sentimental attachment to the places that they "flipped"....or the houses that they lived in, either!! I remember 5 different houses just in MY history....and stories of even more than that! I know that my Grandfather considered the properties....and, often, the contents....to be potential profits to be re-invested elsewhere. But I have a sneaky suspicion that my Grandmother didn't always see it that way!

I know that at least two of the five houses held a special place in her heart. I also know that at least some of the "contents" did, too. I know that because....I have most of it!! I have things that she collected, I have things that were family mementos, I have things that were given to her and things that she made, I have books and pictures.....and pictures, and pictures!!

I feel really honored that she gave all of these important things to me and I am taking this responsibility seriously. I have always taken really good care of all of it....but now, with all of the transformations we are doing in our home, I am incorporating it and finding it all a "home"!!

I think she would be very happy!!

There is a lot more to this story.... I'll be back soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment